Thursday 5 July 2012

The separation of water

Sometimes the enormous distances from the UK are more vivid than others and, today, with my father still in hospital, the separation in time and space from him are made more acute. His health has declined very rapidly, unexpectedly so, in the last few weeks and now we await tests, therapies and, with hope, pray that he might find some sort of improvement.
Speaking with my mother on the phone I am aware just how alone she feels; but thankfully, we have friends in Dorking who are incredible in the way that they are helping and, my sister is stalwartly providing support in every way she can.
Such difficulties are to be expected... he is 80 years old and she 79; but I send them my love across the water and across time.




Nicholas




This moon shone brightly last evening.


It's dusky, reddish hue, subtle against the explosion of colour and energy in the firework celebrations taking place.


Today, as we hold Nicholas' Dad in our hearts and our spirits, I am reminded that early in our love story, Nicholas and I were speaking on the phone, it was 4am in NYC and 11pm in Surrey, and I asked him to look up at the moon.


It was a beautiful full moon, quite spectacular in colour and form, not unlike this one....he could see it, together we held the moon in our gaze, joined by its reflective light.


For a moment, the ocean disappeared and we were alongside one another. 


I hope the moon is shining in England tonight. 


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment