Friday 27 July 2012

Return home...

We drive home to Peruville today, going south through the Green Mountains of Vermont and bypassing Albany.
Our trip to the North East was fabulous, taking in sweeping vistas of tree covered mountains and the sea, with Monhegan Island 12 miles offshore, basking in the afternoon sun, a last stop before the 3500 miles of the Atlantic.
You can just see the island down on the horizon in this window shot from  New Harbor, the fishing village that was featured in the film, 'Message in a Bottle'.



Last night, huge thunderstorms struck New York state, but with luck we'll only drive through light rain today.


Nicholas


For my birthday, Nicholas arranged 2 nights at a beautiful hotel and spa in Vermont. It was built at the turn of the last century for the then governor of Vermont, Allen Miller Fletcher. It is no where near as old as the stately homes Nicholas and I have visited in England, but designed in the English Cotswold style, built using Californian redwood trees and locally quarried gneiss...it feels quite nostalgic for us.


Today, we head home to our little cottage by the pond. We pick up our new car this afternoon, I begin my new job tomorrow and we complete on the land sale on Monday (we hope....) Everything is moving forward.


We also work with our architect again this week to finalize his drawings and pricing.


I saw a wondrous reminder of homes while on Monhegan Island, in the midst of Cathedral Woods, there are dozens and dozens of little "fairy houses" built by those walking through the woods, designed to provide housing for the little people who dwell there. I don't know when it began, or who built the first of them...but these were a few of my favourites...
Maybe we should consider lining our driveway with pinecones...
They remind me that there are unexpected joys in unexpected places...but I have to keep my eyes focused and my heart open to see them.


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment