Wednesday 2 May 2012

Order out of chaos...


Ten years ago, Judy and I visited the outer Hebrides, including the islands of Harris and Lewis. At the same latitude as Anchorage Alaska, the summer light lingers into the night in an almost perpetual day for a while. They are remarkable places and at Callanish on Lewis there is a superb standing stone circle dating back to about 2600 BC.

Sorting through the studio the other day we came across a splendid photograph of the stones which we’d bought at the time and, which for copyright reasons I can’t reproduce; but here is a hint of their mystery.


There is a truly ancient feel to these islands which pervades the culture and is steeped in history, particularly in the North, and which I suspect, will be the most noticeable aspect of living here that we will miss.

Our shredding is nearly done, and, later this week, we will prepare the house for a big family reunion at the weekend. It may be the last time I see my aunts and uncles, at least for the foreseeable future.
Nicholas



Getting things into orderly fashion has never been my strong suit, from my closet to my suitcases on tour, to my bookshelves....I am more of a chaos into cosmos kind of person.

My Mom and sister and more than a handful of my closest friends are all list-makers. More frightening than their making of lists is the crossing off part of it. Yes…these are people that not only organize their thoughts enough to write them down, to prioritize and order their thinking, their time, and their energy…these are people that actually accomplish what they write down!

They tell me that it they get a great feeling of fulfilment from this. I can only imagine…

Lists and I are not great companions. When I have made lists in the past, I have either lost the notebook I have written them in, or begun daydreaming about some story I wanted to write or some trip I have taken, or might want to take some day, something, anything comes to mind to get me away from the arduous chore of sticking to some regimented pattern of behaviour! Don’t get me wrong, I get things done, but in a Judy-esque sort of fashion.

Well, I now need to be quite specific in what I do and how I do it. There are many, almost too many, details that need careful attention. And this somewhat random approach to getting through the events of my life to date might not work quite as well in this season as it has in others. So, I have begun to make a few lists…I’ll let you know how it goes.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment