Saturday 5 May 2012

Old Father Time...

Well, old Father Time was looking bedraggled in the rain and gray yesterday. This lovely old wind vane stands proud over the stadium at Lords and is the perfect symbol for English cricket.


Our trip to Lords was fun, mainly because of Judy's joy at actually seeing the Ashes urn in the Cricket Museum at Lords...this tiny object is uninsurable and venerated the cricketing world over for its symbolic association with the battle for supremacy between England and Australia.


As for the cricket, most of it was washed out. But she stood next door to Andrew Strauss on his way back to the Dressing Room in the Members Pavilion as he strode off the pitch being out for 49! You should have seen his face.


The car is sold: my buyer took it out for a test drive today and so I will bid farewell to the Golf V5 that accompanied us on so many journeys: Italy, Paris, Scotland... its been a fabulous car and now, at 106,000 miles has aged very well indeed.


Our collection of three shredders is reduced to two: one sort of burnt out the other day.
Tomorrow, the family arrive in force: we are entertaining 12 tomorrow....


Nicholas


Yesterday was filled with things I really love, cricket, joyful bubbling emotions that become tears welling in my eyes, gratitude for friendships that have sustained and supported our lives, great food and wine and conversation...


In saying our goodbyes in the early hours of this morning, in not wanting last night to be the final night spent in the company of two couples I hold dear, the move, and all that it means became very very clear to me.






I am happy for the fullest moon tonight, for in its reflective beauty I am reminded to give pause. Like this moon, whose glowing illumination is coming from behind the clouds, in this season of goodbyes and hellos, I know I must embrace the fullness of both the cloud and the light. The sadness that inevitably accompanies physically moving away from people and places we cherish is real, and I am feeling it profoundly.


Judy



No comments:

Post a Comment