Thursday 10 May 2012

Light and Tides...

Almost exactly 11 years ago, Judy and I were on the island of Harris in the Outer Hebrides. After days of grey and rain, one evening the sun broke through the firmament and the seas lit up with golden light. It was spectacular and we raced down to the shoreline at Scarista bay to bathe in colour for a while.




So what is it about the sea that captures the imagination? Is it the presence of an almost infinite horizon that reminds us of so much more than ourselves? Or is it about being in the presence of unconscious memories that take us back to childhood?
This week I've been invited to take part in a new gallery venture in Monterey California!
It is an exciting new opportunity there within minutes of the Pacific Ocean...
I can't wait to see what new paintings emerge with that in mind!


Nicholas


This morning I awoke with that greatest of gifts, the "reframe" available to me in full force. In particular, while I went to sleep with the wind howling and gusting, and yet another deluge, I awakened with the knowledge that Paddington is now thoroughly part of the land he loved best, the hill called Cotmandene, overlooking Dorking. He is the ball of fluff in the foreground...







We depart exactly one month from today and in my mind's eye, it was always the three of us, walking on the red carpet, boarding the QM2 and sailing for America...but some things are not to be. 

This image is of Paddy and me, physically together, and joyful on our trip to Harris 11 years ago. He loved the wind and the ferryboats and the journey. We will carry him in our hearts and our memories always. Thank you for all of the love, across all my years in England, my beautiful little Padders. 

Judy 

                                      







No comments:

Post a Comment