Sunday 29 April 2012

Still time...

Today was my last probable day of painting before we emigrate....
Oil paint usually takes weeks to dry and I have to be sure that the paintings I have created this week will be hard enough to withstand the process of wrapping and packing.


So here is a small painting entitled 'Island Light 2' which attempts to encapsulate a feeling for the north and for the mysteries of the sea.


And, today, Judy and I have borrowed no less than 3 shredding machines: at times our office sounded like a demented orchestra of mosquitos as we fed documents and papers into the cross-diamond cutting faces.
Nine full bags later we have still a lot to do; but the process feels cathartic, as if, in the act of shredding we are casting off the shackles of old stuff.


Now, as I write, the evening light is glowing like gold amongst the embers of the day, and our shredding machines are cooling down. There is much to do tomorrow.


Nicholas




Things have had a tendency to be less than straightforward this year. The moments that have felt like absolute blessings have been utterly phenomenal. The moments that have sideswiped us and, literally blind-siding us with challenges we had not foreseen, have been equally as powerful. If I am honest, I'd say the two, the positive and less than positive, are running hand in hand in terms of impact. Or at least they are today. I guess I am tired today and I wish things could just go according to plan...my plan...


The only thing I can do with that equation is choose to keep focusing on the positive, keep focusing on the belief that, in the end, things will work out as they are meant to...and that, even if I don't always understand the present scenario, it is all unfolding for the good.


With so many details needing to fall into place, to dovetail, to coordinate...it is, frankly, a little exhausting to keep all the balls in the air. But I am reminded that I only need to see enough to take the next step...sometimes the big picture is not fully available to us as we look to the horizon. 


I am somewhere in the fog tonight....I am hoping to see more clearly tomorrow after a good night's sleep.


Judy







1 comment:

  1. Island Light 2 is beautiful in a way that touches my heart, but is somehow beyond putting into words because of it. Home, but one I've not met yet? And your photo, below it, with the fog rolling in, is one that speaks to my heart as well, because it is one I am familiar with, have seen, felt, touched. Home. Not for my heart, but literally.

    ReplyDelete